Bush walking, rainforest walks, bird-watching, rest and relaxation, platypus viewing, massage by arrangement, artist’s paradise, photography, wildlife spotting, exploring the rainforest, picnicking, swimming in spring fed freshwater creeks & fishing.
Within 1½ km of the Tavern 220 bird species have been recorded as well as many mammals, reptiles, insects, butterflies and plants. It is easy just spending a day just relaxing at your accommodation and waiting for the wildlife to come to you.
Some of the more sought after species of birds recorded in the area include: Red-necked Crake, Bush-hen, Double-eyed Fig-Parrot, owls such as Barking, Sooty Owl (Lesser), and Barn, Grey-headed Robin (Local migrant)and Pied Monarch. The Emerald Dove, Papuan Frogmouth and Noisy Pitta breed in the grounds as do many of the smaller passerine species such as Large-billed Scrubwren, Large-billed and Fairy Gerygone, Macleay's, Yellow-spotted and Graceful Honeyeater, Pale-yellow Robin, Little Shrike-thrush, Yellow-breasted Boatbill, Spectacled Monarch, Cicadabird and Spotted Catbird.
Stroll down to the Platypus pond and take your place on the water’s edge. Watch for our resident platypus and turtles ducking & weaving through the water lillies.
Great Barrier Reef and Estuary Tours
- Aristocat Outer Barrier Reef – snorkel and dive
- Poseidon Outer Barrier Reef – snorkel and dive
- Quicksilver Outer Barrier Reef
- Sailaway – Low Isles
- Lady Douglas – Port Douglas inlet – crocodile spotting
- Solar Whisper – Daintree River
- World Heritage Listed Daintree Rainforest to Cape Tribulation along the way you can visit for example the Daintree Discovery Centre, walk the Jindalba Boardwalk and a guided tour at Cooper’s Creek
- Mossman Gorge (Daintree National Park) and Kuku Yulangi Tours
- Kuranda Skyrail and Kuranda Scenic Railway
Explore: Lake Eacham, Lake Barrine, Lake Tinnaroo, Waterfall Circuit,
Millaa Millaa Falls, Malanda Organic Dairy and cheese tasting, Granite Gorge, Chrystal Caves – Atherton, Mareeba Coffee Works, Skybury Coffee Centre,
Mt Uncle Distillery, The Golden Drop Mango winery – Mareeba,
Historical Herberton Village.